Welcome to the ABNT webpages. The site is run in parallel with the ABN website with the aim of bringing news and content specifically for neurology trainees all together in one place. Below are some of the key things we'd like to bring to your attention, and you'll find plenty more inside. If there is something you think
we should have included that you can't find then contact us.
Shape of Training
Following the 31st January 2017 Shape of Training meeting with Ian Finaly, Chair of UK Shape of Training Steering Group, attended by Tom Hughes and Anthony Pereira (Neurology SAC) and Phil Smith and Mary Reilly (ABN) a formal response has now been received. The Shape of Training Steering Group believes that neurologists should have the skills to contribute to the acute unselected take and consequently recommends that neurology specialist training should lead to dual accreditation in GIM. This recommendation was accepted by ministers in July 2017. The ABN is working with the Neurology SAC to determine the next steps and there are ongoing discussions bewteen Tom Hughes (Chair of the Neurology SAC), Mary Reilly (ABN President), and David Black (Medical Director, JRCPTB). The following links will take you to some further reading.
- ABNT joint position statement on Shape of Training, jointly written with several other medical and surgical trainee bodies
- May 2017 ABN information sheet, written for 2017 ABN Annual General Meeting
- Mar 2017 statement by the Shape of Training Steering Group
- Feb 2015 statement by the Shape of Training Steering Group
- A brief summary of the report by the FMLM
- The full Shape of Training report
- Former ABN President, Geraint Fuller, on Shape of Training